This blog is to store what I consider to be important - or weird - stories about health and science. To read these, you will need the Adobe Reader; you may download it at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html Be sure to check out my political blog at: http://larblog.blogspot.com Welcome to my friends from LeftWingRadicals!
Sunday, December 19, 2004
They knew as far back as 1997 that the drug was dangerous, but with GWB in the White House, they felt confident enough that in 2001 they issued a statement about how great this drug is. (not mentioning how profitable, but the article has a link to the business plan)
Of course, all the FDA has done is had the company put warnings on the bottle. So what if no amount of warnings is going to prevent teenagers from commiting suicide or anyone taking it having withdrawal symptoms when they quit.
Doctors are, by and large, complete idiots. I knew back in the early 90's that SSRI's cause withdrawal, and I'm not a doctor, I just used to work in a drug crisis center. When a friend called me about her mom, who has just quit another SSRI, becoming suicidal because she felt 'crazy', I suggested that her mom contact the doc and go back on the SSRI, with a gradual reduction plan over 6 months. Things worked out great. But the fact is, most doctors did, and still do, say, "Well, you don't need this anymore.", so they cold-turkey you, or - more likely - you lose your job and your insurance and are forced into withdrawal because you can't afford the doctor visits and the drugs. There is no one to watch out for those thousands and thousands of people who suffer - or die - because of that scenario.
Certainly not the heartless Bush Bunch.
- ► 2005 (110)
- Betterhumans > Eye Injection Stops Vision Loss
- Woman, 67, having twins - to emotionally use and a...
- ABC News: Drug Maker Withheld Paxil Study Data
- ABC News: Doctors Debate the Safety of Celebrex
- BBC NEWS | Health | Ten odours 'help spot dementia...
- This is how Bush does 'science'
- Study linking soda drinking in kids with liver dam...
- Puff in; IQ out. Puff in; IQ out
- Laptops cause fertility problems. Don't tell Repu...
- New car smell linked to cancer
- Pollutant 'damages bone marrow'
- ABC News: Study: First Impressions Really Matter
- Drought is actually the norm in the West
- BBC: Red meat link to arthritis risk
- ▼ December (14)