This blog is to store what I consider to be important - or weird - stories about health and science. To read these, you will need the Adobe Reader; you may download it at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html Be sure to check out my political blog at: http://larblog.blogspot.com Welcome to my friends from LeftWingRadicals!
Friday, January 27, 2006
It's like the monkey said when he backed into the fan.
"It won't be long now!"
Here's the CDC chart on bird flu deaths, by year. You'll note that for most countries, the current month of January - if multiplied by 12, the number of cases is running well ahead of 2005.
The CDC has a new publication out "Assessing the Pandemic Threat". Interesting reading.
1. The H5N1 outbreak in 2004: a pandmemic in waiting?
2. Lessons from past pandemics
3. Understanding the outbreaks in poultry
4. Action in the face of an uncertain threat
Tables and Boxes
- Influenza A viruses:sloppy, capricious, and promiscuous
- Investigations of human-to-human transmission
- Human cases, Viet Nam
- Human cases, Thailand
- The origin of pandemic viruses
- The WHO global influenza programme: a network of flu "detectives"
- Previous outbreaks of pathogenic avian influenza worldwide
- Documented human infections with avian influenza viruses
- Non-medical interventions at the national level
- Non-medical interventions at the international level
- ▼ 2006 (15)
- ► 2005 (110)